Berry Nice Fruit Smoothie with Optional Protein Boost
Frozen berries are a brilliant way to vary your fruit intake, especially in winter. Different combinations are available in supermarkets and health food shops, including organic. Alternatively, if you have freezer space, pick 'em yourself and freeze them quickly, from a fruit farm or do a bit of foraging and get them FREE. Open spaces are often filled with bramble bushes come August and September.
Top Tip: frozen bananas (or berries) are a great way to chill a smoothie without using ice. Peel bananas, slice into chunks, bag them and freeze..
- 2 frozen or fresh bananas, broken into chunks
- 720ml/24 fl oz/3 cups unsweetened fresh fruit juice (not from concentrate) - any type
- 100g/4oz berries, fresh or frozen
- 250ml/9 fl oz/1 cup soya yoghurt, plain or flavoured (optional)
Protein boost: add one of these:
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1 tbsp hemp meal
- 1-2 tbsp nut or seed butter, eg cashew, almond, tahini etc
- 1 handful of whole seeds or nuts, eg sunflower, hazelnuts, cashews - or a mixture
NB a high speed blender is needed for whole seeds or nuts
- Blend all ingredients together until very smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately.
Did you know that 30DayVegan is run by a charity?
Viva! is a UK-registered charity which educates people about the realities of factory farming and how it impacts our health, the planet and animals. 30DayVegan is part of our project to make going - and staying - vegan really easy by providing amazing recipes which make even meat-eaters' mouths water!
We're doing it because veganism saves animals, protects our planet and is better for the environment and your health.
We don't receive any government funding. We can only keep going with YOUR help. Please consider donating to Viva! to help us continue to offer these life-saving services.