Creamy Mock Chicken, Avocado & Tomato Wraps
Just yummy... a simple, quick dish to please sceptical meat-eaters and just about anyone. You can pad this out with extra salad etc or just increase the amount of wraps per person for a quick but filling meal. If you don't fancy wraps, try using a wholegrain such as brown rice, quinoa or a mixture. Make the grains from scratch - or just open one of those very convenient pouches of cooked grains that are everywhere now - Uncle Ben, Tilda, Merchant Gourmet and most supermarket own brands sell a good selection.
If you aren't keen on vegan meats, use the tofu pieces. However, seitan/gluten 'wheat meat' has been used in the Orient for thousands of years and is tasty, low fat and full of protein - give it a try unless you're truly allergic!
Chicken replacement - choose from ONE of these:
- 1 pack of Cauldron marinated tofu pieces
- 1 pack of VBites Chicken-style pieces
- Fry's Chicken-Style Strips (cooked)
- Granovita Mock Duck (Holland & Barrett and other health food shops) OR Oriental supermarket mock chicken/duck, eg Rolin, Mong Lee Shang or Companion brands, drained and thinly sliced
- 100g/generous 3oz of drained and thinly-sliced seitan, eg Yakso or Lima. Sold in jars in health food shops or as 'gluten' in Oriental supermarkets
- 1 avocado, sliced/cubed
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
- 1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise, eg Plamil or Mayola mixed with 1 tbsp dairy-free plain yoghurt (eg Alpro, Provamel or Tesco)
- Drizzle of lime or lemon juice
- Black pepper
- 4 wraps (preferably wholemeal)
1. In a bowl, mix your chosen chicken replacement with the avocado, tomatoes and the mayonnaise/yoghurt mixture so everything is well-coated. Drizzle with the lime or lemon juice.
2. Season well with black pepper.
3. Spread the 4 wraps out, put one quarter of the filling inside each one and fold it over.
4. If transporting, wrap in foil or place in a sealed plastic box.
Did you know that 30DayVegan is run by a charity?
Viva! is a UK-registered charity which educates people about the realities of factory farming and how it impacts our health, the planet and animals. 30DayVegan is part of our project to make going - and staying - vegan really easy by providing amazing recipes which make even meat-eaters' mouths water!
We're doing it because veganism saves animals, protects our planet and is better for the environment and your health.
We don't receive any government funding. We can only keep going with YOUR help. Please consider donating to Viva! to help us continue to offer these life-saving services.