Deli-style Sandwich or Wrap
This is the vegan version of those big, American-style club sandwiches and it works well with regular bread/wraps or GF alternatives. If you are wheat-free rather than gluten-free, try rye bread, pumpernickel or something along those lines... deliciously different. Crusty, fresh bread such as sourdough is great if can get it. If you don't live near an independent bakers, check the vegan lists for all the major chains. Aldi's list includes some great in-store bread and much of it is vegan but it's not the only supermarket with vegan bread. Always go with a wholemeal bread option where possible - much more healthy and tasty!
Fillings? Lots of ideas! You can go the vegan meat/cheese route or choose a more 'wholefood' type of filling - or a mixture, it's up to you! And there are GF options too. See below...
- 2 slices of bread per sandwich round, preferably wholemeal. (Bagels also work and are usually vegan). Use a GF vegan wrap such as Warburton's if you wish.
- Salad ingredients, eg leaves, tomato, alfalfa sprouts, cucumber, grated carrot, avocado, sunblushed tomatoes, olives, raddish, capers, poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
- Main filling - choose one or more of these:
- Smoked tofu, very thinly sliced; tempeh rashers; roast veg (GF); hummus(GF) - or a combo! NB home-made tempeh rashers fried with tamari soya sauce are GF, whereas bought rashers are not
- Mock duck (Granose, tinned), thinly sliced or other seitan-based vegan meat
- Vegan cheese, eg Violife, Vegusto, Tesco smoked, Sheese, thinly sliced (most vegan cheese is GF)
- Vegan cream cheese, eg Violife, Sheese, Tesco, Sainsburys
- Vegan mayo; pickles; chutney as you wish
- Vegan butter if you wish (eg Biona, Pure, Tesco Free From, M&S Sunflower).
- Make a sandwich (or several rounds) as usual. If taking to work or elsewhere, wrap in clingfilm or foil to keep fresh. Or place in a plastic box.
Did you know that 30DayVegan is run by a charity?
Viva! is a UK-registered charity which educates people about the realities of factory farming and how it impacts our health, the planet and animals. 30DayVegan is part of our project to make going - and staying - vegan really easy by providing amazing recipes which make even meat-eaters' mouths water!
We're doing it because veganism saves animals, protects our planet and is better for the environment and your health.
We don't receive any government funding. We can only keep going with YOUR help. Please consider donating to Viva! to help us continue to offer these life-saving services.