Easy Pad Thai, Supermarket-style
A simple, quick but tasty and healthy supper based on ready-mades.
1 jar vegan Pad Thai sauce, eg Maesri (most other brands contain fish) - available from Oriental grocers or online, eg Amazon, Oriental Store
Alternatively make a very quick home-made version. Mix all these in a bowl with a fork or small whisk:
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar OR use agave or date syrup to taste
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice (2-3 limes or from a bottle)
- 4 tbsp soya sauce, eg shoyu or GF tamari
- 4 tbsp water
Pad Thai Main Dish
- A little vegetable or sesame oil
- 1 pack fresh beansprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1-2 packs ready-made rice noodles in a sachet. The best are the wide variety, eg Amoy. Every supermarket sells the thinner 'bird's nest' type if you can't get the wider ones!
- Tofu pieces (Cauldron marinated, deep-fried pieces from an Oriental store or home-fried chunks). Alternatively, use fresh green soya beans, removed from the freezer so they defrost a bit
- To serve: chopped coriander, lime segments, chilli flakes, roast peanuts or cashews to serve
1. In a wok or similar, heat the oil and quickly stir-fry the beansprouts, just enough to heat through. If you're using the fresh soya beans, add these now.
2. Stir in the sauce, whichever version you're using.
3. Add the noodles (and tofu pieces if using). Stir everything so it's coated with the sauce and hot.
4. Serve each portion with the coriander and any of the serving options that you like.
Did you know that 30DayVegan is run by a charity?
Viva! is a UK-registered charity which educates people about the realities of factory farming and how it impacts our health, the planet and animals. 30DayVegan is part of our project to make going - and staying - vegan really easy by providing amazing recipes which make even meat-eaters' mouths water!
We're doing it because veganism saves animals, protects our planet and is better for the environment and your health.
We don't receive any government funding. We can only keep going with YOUR help. Please consider donating to Viva! to help us continue to offer these life-saving services.