Quick & Easy Fried Tofu Egg Butty
This is basically a tofu steak, pimped up with a few flavourings. No, it's not egg, but it tastes pretty good in a breakfast sandwich. Get everything out you need and go for it - you can have it on the table in under 10 minutes!
- 1 slice of extra-firm tofu (use regular firm if you can't get the extra-firm type) - sliced about scant 1cm/1/4 inch thick. Use a clean tea towel or kitchen paper to gently squeeze as much of the water out as possible
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt (slightly sulphurous taste so good for vegan eggs)
- 1/8 tsp mustard powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tbsp soya or other plant milk
Vegan mayo; tomato sauce; vegan butter (margarine) - or anything else you fancy. We also like this with sliced avocado or tomatoes
ALL KITTED OUT
Knife, chopping board, kitchen towel, non-stick frying pan, fish slice, small bowl, measuring spoons, teaspoon to mix
- Heat oil until it is smoking in a non-stick saucepan and fry the tofu on both sides until slightly browned.
- Mix together the paste ingredients then coat one side with half the paste. Turn it over gently so the coated side is directly on the heat.
- While it's cooking, do the same with the top side, flipping it over gently. Let each side cook for 2-3 minutes so it's all well-browned.
- Place in bread or a bread roll, add any of the options you wish and eat while hot.
Did you know that 30DayVegan is run by a charity?
Viva! is a UK-registered charity which educates people about the realities of factory farming and how it impacts our health, the planet and animals. 30DayVegan is part of our project to make going - and staying - vegan really easy by providing amazing recipes which make even meat-eaters' mouths water!
We're doing it because veganism saves animals, protects our planet and is better for the environment and your health.
We don't receive any government funding. We can only keep going with YOUR help. Please consider donating to Viva! to help us continue to offer these life-saving services.