Stir-Fried Vegetables, Rice & Tofu
Gorgeous - a favourite with everyone who's tried it. It's easy to make the stir-fry and sauce while the rice is simmering. Make it from scratch or use our shortcut ideas!
Cheat Sheet - for those nights when you're time poor but very hungry!
- use ready-cooked pouches of brown rice, eg Sainsbury's, Tilda or Uncle Ben
- use a big pack of stir-fried vegetables
- use Cauldron marinated tofu pieces
Rice (or see shortcut above)
- 350g/12oz long grain brown rice
- 700ml/25 fl oz water
- 2 tsp vegan bouillon powder
Stir Fry (or see shortcut above)
- 12 spring onions, sliced
- 200g/7oz baby sweetcorn, halved
- 2 red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced into thin sticks
- 200g/7oz oriental greens such as Pak Choi or Chinese leaves, shredded
- Other suitable veg, eg asparagus, cauliflower or broccoli florets, shredded pak choi...
Tofu (or see shortcut above)
- 1 pack medium-firm tofu (eg Cauldron), pressed down with a plate and weights for 30 minutes+ then mopped up and chopped into 8-12 cubes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- splash of tamari GF soya sauce or aminos, eg Marigold
- 60g/4 level tbsp cup smooth peanut or other nut butter. Tahini also works well
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp prepared English mustard
- Large handful of parsley (curly or flat-leaf), thick stalks removed
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp syrup (eg agave, maple or date)
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- Pinch salt
- Optional: 1tbsp tamari and 1tbsp sesame oil
1. Press the tofu if not already done. If using pre-cooked rice, go to Stage 3.
2. Bring to boil and simmer for 25-35 minutes until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
3. Meanwhile, chop vegetables for stir-fry and put aside. If using a stir-fry pack, go to Stage 4.
4. Fry tofu chunks in a little oil or low-cal spray in a nonstick pan until golden brown on all sides. If using marinated tofu pieces, go to Stage 6.
5. Add a little shoyu (soy sauce) until the tofu is coated. Drain on kitchen paper and put aside.
6. Make sauce by blending all ingredients together - then warm through gently.
7. Stir-fry the vegetables in the oil.
8. Chop cooled tofu into bite-sized pieces and heat through with vegetables.
9. Serve. Place cooked, drained rice on plates, top with the vegetable-tofu mix, then the sauce.
Did you know that 30DayVegan is run by a charity?
Viva! is a UK-registered charity which educates people about the realities of factory farming and how it impacts our health, the planet and animals. 30DayVegan is part of our project to make going - and staying - vegan really easy by providing amazing recipes which make even meat-eaters' mouths water!
We're doing it because veganism saves animals, protects our planet and is better for the environment and your health.
We don't receive any government funding. We can only keep going with YOUR help. Please consider donating to Viva! to help us continue to offer these life-saving services.