Vegan Muesli for Beginners
Yeah, we all know about muesli. It's the epitome of the vegan and veggie stereotype, isn't it?! But not all mueslis are created equal! There are so many different types as well as several ways of preparing and serving this classic breakfast, all simple and good.
Isn't all muesli vegan?
No - Swiss or Alpen types usually contain added dairy and some mueslis add honey or tons of sugar which aren't so good! So read labels. There are lots of good, healthy brands around including supermarket own-brands. My Vegan Supermarket offers a good guide to what's on the shelves!
Can I eat it just as it is?
Yes, but it's more digestible if soaked overnight in water or plant milk (soya, almond, hemp etc) - some people prefer it softer, others more chewy. Up to you!
What else can I have with it?
- Extra dried fruit, eg raisins, sultanas or figs (a great source of iron and other goodies)
- Extra fresh fruit like banana, berries, mango, grated apple - mmm, vitamin C and more!
- Hemp meal (ground up hemp seeds) for a good protein and omega boost
- Other nuts and seeds - protein and plenty other nutrients
- Plant milks - almond, soya, hemp, pouring coconut, rice... and more. Choose a fortified one where possible
- Syrups such as agave - pictured - date or maple. These are the vegan alternatives to honey
Can I make my own?
Yes. It's easy - just mix oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruit and anything else you like eg wheat or quinoa flakes, coconut flakes etc into a dry mix and store in an air-tight container. Most supermarkets will sell everything you need but it's particularly easy if you live near a 'weigh your own' type shop as you can buy as much or as little as you want
Check out our breakfast video for more simple ideas to start your day!
1/4-1/2 a cup of muesli
Plant milk of your choice
Some of the optional extras we suggest above!
Serve and eat!
Did you know that 30DayVegan is run by a charity?
Viva! is a UK-registered charity which educates people about the realities of factory farming and how it impacts our health, the planet and animals. 30DayVegan is part of our project to make going - and staying - vegan really easy by providing amazing recipes which make even meat-eaters' mouths water!
We're doing it because veganism saves animals, protects our planet and is better for the environment and your health.
We don't receive any government funding. We can only keep going with YOUR help. Please consider donating to Viva! to help us continue to offer these life-saving services.