Watercress, Avocado & Toasted Walnut Salad
A simple, nutritious and delicious salad - the avocado and walnuts are full of protein and good quality fats while the watercress offers iron and vitamin C as well as a lovely flavour. Bulk it out with good quality wholemeal bread, cooked wholegrains, oat cakes or other healthy carbs if you wish.
- Small handful of chopped walnuts per person
- Bunch of watercress, washed, trimmed and dried
- 1/2 a small cos lettuce, washed, spun and torn into pieces OR use a bag of mixed salad leaves
- 1-2 large ripe avocadoes (buy the 'ready-to-eat' variety if possible)
- Optional: 10-12 ripe cherry tomatoes - washed, dried and halved
Use ready-made French or Balsamic dressing or make your own, as below
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 11/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a non-stick pan, gently pan-roast the walnuts for a few seconds, stirring to stop them catching and burning. Keep an eye on them - all nuts and seeds burn very quickly! Place in a bowl and set aside. (Don't leave them in the hot pan as they'll continue cooking).
2. Arrange the watercress, lettuce/salad leaves and tomatoes (if using) in a serving bowl or on individual plates. If making the dressing, measure everything into a screw-top jar and give it a good shake. Slice the avocado in half and remove the stone. Peel and dice the two halves and add to the salad.
3. Toss the salad and dressing together. Scatter the toasted walnut pieces over everything and serve.
Did you know that 30DayVegan is run by a charity?
Viva! is a UK-registered charity which educates people about the realities of factory farming and how it impacts our health, the planet and animals. 30DayVegan is part of our project to make going - and staying - vegan really easy by providing amazing recipes which make even meat-eaters' mouths water!
We're doing it because veganism saves animals, protects our planet and is better for the environment and your health.
We don't receive any government funding. We can only keep going with YOUR help. Please consider donating to Viva! to help us continue to offer these life-saving services.